Sunday 15 July 2012

IRA AND HER SEWING MACHINE

From Ira Joseph, the owner of Quilts 'n' Calicoes in Singapore.  She is also the founder/organiser of the annual quilt exhibition held at the Singapore Botanical Gardens.  Though she and her sewing machines remain camera shy, she did find 5 minutes to dash off some answers.


What sewing machines do you use?
Mainly Janomes, with 2 Berninas (non computerized) from long ago.  I don't like computerized models much, as I like to adjust my stitches to my liking exactly.

How long have you owned your sewing machines?
Between 26 yrs and as lately as 2 years ago, with another one from Janome on the way .
How long have you been sewing?
For 38 years .
What type of sewing do you do?
Quilting and all related thereof.
Describe your sewing machine.
Looks like most others!  It has features that I love and hate as well.
How many stitches are there on your machine, and do you use them all?
Most of them have the usual assortment of at least a dozen stitches and no, I don't use them all.  I use the fancy stitches for specific projects.  As primarily a quilter, I use straight and zig zag stitches more often than not, and embroidery stitches every now and then.
What do you love about your machines?
That they work(!) when well maintained, and that they allow me make more quilts than if I had to hand sew them all.
What do you dislike about them?
That there is nothing to warn you when the bobbin's going to run out and sometimes the machines are temperamental.  With the computerized model (which I have as well) I'm not always happy.  The newer ones seem to be plagued!  
My personal belief is that sewing machines companies are in a race to come up with "newer and better" models.  I love the older ones with their solid bodies, instead of the plastic stuff today, that is destined for an "upgrade" after its first birthday!
Which feature(s) on it could you not live without, if you had to replace your sewing machine today?
Automatic bobbin winding.
Are there any feature(s) that you wish you had on your machine?
Tell me when the bobbin will run out!
Is there any feature on your machine that you consider as not worth the money?
Plenty of new features that one does not really use. 

What about on sewing machines that you have come across through your work?
Brother's Sashiko machine is a waste of money.  The chain stitch at the back is awful and comes out.  I tried it out in the US, when it was just released.  As it was at Quilt Market, there were plenty of quilt shop owners around to discuss it with.  Those that bought the machine wanted to plug it as the next big thing, but would not really buy one themselves, only for their customers! 
Would you recommend other people buying that machine ?
NO !
Are you planning on buying a new machine, and if so do you have something in mind?  
I have the quilting only machine from Janome on the way!  I’m not into model numbers, there are too many to keep up with.  I’m just happy to own a good one.
Any other comments (such as past machines you loved/hated; do we need fancy sewing machines)? 
Brother.. hated it back then, hate them now too!


Editor's note:
Ira wanted to send a naked picture for this blog post, which has set a whole new train of thought going..!

1 comment: