Friday 22 February 2013

DVD REVIEW: INSPIRED VELVET WITH ANGIE HUGHES

This DVD is produced by COLOURICIOUS.  It runs for 97 minutes and costs £18.  It is available from other outlets including Amazon.

I purchased this dvd, having been inspired by the trailers for it on the COLOURICIOUS website.

Given my lack of access to velvet, I know I am not going to use the techniques on this DVD exactly as shown, but it was immediately obvious that you could do everything Angie talked about on other fabrics.

Angie's work is rich in colour and texture and she uses a lot of really fun stuff that makes you want to go out and play.  She touches on painting, printing, foiling, using glitter (at last a use for it).  I am sure the sweet wrappers she uses are something I won't have trouble finding and for the pyromaniacs amongst us, she gets out her heat gun too!

Like other COLOURICIOUS DVDs, the format is a classroom setting with a few people sitting around watching and occasionally participating.  It did feel rather fake, as they tried to look engaged in the process, but this is just a small niggle about that type of format.  

On the whole I found this DVD a good way to learn about how you can start a surface design picture, and had me eager to get something shiny out and stick it on some fabric.  If you like shiny, and you like to play, this is the DVD for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment