Sunday 26 May 2013

Latest on Unc!

I have been asked for an update on Unc, and I have been scratching my head for stories that are repeatable, or rather, won't get him into trouble with my aunt, should she happen across this post!

Unc likes railway models.  He restores old toy trains.  Actually I'm not sure if technically they are toys, since it appears to be grown men who spend hundreds of pounds on them.  Maybe I should call them models!  He also makes those set ups, where a train track is built into an interesting environment.  I am sure you know what I mean.

He has been working on a couple of such set ups, which are often used for various shows.  He builds the models, moulds figures to go with the set up etc.  This is a model he has made recently.

This sorry tale begins when he was making a train engine from wood.  He thought it should have been fairly straight forward.  Unusually he managed to cut the train shell without damaging one of his fingers (he has had several metal splinters removed from fingers before now, and I have lost count of fingernails he has managed to un-bed).  However when it came to sticking it together, things went downhill.

Unc's intent was to use superglue.  Unfortunately the glue tube burst over the hand that was holding the model, and the model ended up stuck to his right hand's fingertips.  He shouted for his wife, who came out to see what all the fuss was about, took one whiff of the fumes, and declined to offer up any help.  As Unc put it, an exchange of words then followed.  I suspect my aunt found it difficult to take him seriously as he had a go at her, while he was waving around a hand with a wooden train stuck to the end of it!  He got so mad, he told her to 'go away'.  I wonder what the actual words were?  Mind you, if I were my aunt, at that point I would have been wetting my knickers laughing so hard, that there wouldn't be an insult he could throw at me at that point, that would have mattered.

Assessing the situation, Unc realised that he had no choice and smashed the model up as best as possible.  This however, left him with fingers covered in bits of wooden train.  Are you laughing yet?  So he got in the car and drove to the nearest hardware store and bought some glue de-bonder, much to the amusement of the store staff.  Finally, he was free!  Then it was back to the beginning again, but using a bit more care with the super glue!

Here is the newer model.  No fingers were lost during the making of this model.

I am sure we all have superglue stories.  In our old apartment, I went to supervise Alan's usage of the superglue in the kitchen (well, I just KNEW he would make a mess of things) and ended up with my fingers superglued to the work surface.  And no, Alan didn't stick me there, it was indeed my own interfering fault!  Of course Alan thought it was one of my pranks, so by the time I started crying (yes, I honestly thought I would have to walk around with a work surface on the end of my fingertips, these things run in the family it seems), I was stuck fast!  We had to use a knife and hot water to get me off, and it hurt like heck!  There is probably still part of my finger's skin there, as I lost some in the removal process.  

Does anyone else have tales of being stuck?  As in superglue!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Kim. A typo has rendered your post open to the most lurid of insertions. I think you would like my stuck tales rather than my suck tales. Please clarify before one begins putting pen to paper. Thanks, Tom.....

    P.s. if you would like a story which incorporates both then I can recall the time in Brighton when Gerry got confused between the superglue and lip salve and we both had to hobble along to A and E in the most distressing of positions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom for pointing out the typo, which has been corrected. Oh and no, we don't need any lurid tales from you two, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, Thanks for the update. I needed a good laugh and you provided one. I especially liked the visual
    of you attached to the counter. Janice

    ReplyDelete