Friday 29 June 2012

I'm a Loser!

Okay, let me just get it out of the way first.  I didn't win a single bloody thing!!!!  Four prizes and I got nowhere!  What a disappointment.  Never mind, next time I'll heed Alan's advice not to get my hopes up.
 I am not sure what upset me more, that I didn't win anything, or where they had put my quilt.

First off, the show was not at all what I was expecting.  I thought it was going to be a proper display.  Instead it was a very crowded large stand, where people were taking classes.  The quilts were on the wall of the stand, and on a frame, which sat a few feet in front of the display wall.  We eventually spotted my Recycle quilt on the frame.

After some searching we found my plant a tree quilt on the outer wall of the stand, in an aisle.  This photo shows you where, just to the side of the boxes on the left.  It was as though my quilt (and one other quilt there) were not part of the show.  It was bizarre as there was space for it elsewhere.

To say I was upset, was to put it mildly.  It was so crowded, that you couldn't see the quilt and every person walking along there, rubbed along my quilt.  We watched as people's bags scrapped over the surface and saw the quilt swing as it caught on someone.  Sue & Margie darted off to find someone to move the quilt.  Eventually we found a person who could speak English and they agreed to move the quilt, but only after I had finally told them to move it or that I was taking it home with me then and there.  Had I have had any idea that my quilt would have ended up like that, I would never have entered it.

On top of that, they had reversed the information labels.  The tree quilt said something like recycling can be fun, which made no sense given the quilt subject matter, whilst the Recycle quilt had a long description about the elements in the quilt and what they meant, none of which were on that quilt.  We also managed to get those swapped.

Margie and Sue were fantastic and oversaw the hanging of the quilt to a more appropriate position.  Thank you both.

This is the winning quilt.  It is taken from a funny angle because you couldn't even get in front of the winning quilts to look at them.  I think it must have been somewhat disappointing to have won, but not have your work prominently displayed.

This is the quilt that placed second.  If you click on the photo to see it enlarged, you will see that it has some beautiful quilting in the black area.

Here is Marjolean's quilt.  I think this was a really super quilt.  She has printed pictures of rubbish heaps and a Thai couple onto fabric.  She has quilted a traditional Thai house over the top of the scene.

The lady next to me was taking a photo of my quilt, so Margie told her that I had made it.  The lady asked to have her photo taken with me and the quilt.  Poor Margie had to take about 5 photos I think, before this woman was happy with the result.

She also asked me how much I would sell my recycle quilt for.  Clearly too much as she didn't buy it!

On the plus side, I did meet a rather nice American woman, who also had her quilt on display and we exchanged details, so hopefully we'll meet up next time she is in BKK.

Well if you think I was fed up, just look at the face of this sales clerk when Sue asks to try on yet another pair of shoes.  After much heckling from us to just get on with it, Sue walked away with two hugely discounted pairs of sandals.

Well, at least someone was a winner today!

2 comments:

  1. unbelievable - i did think you had a good chance, but i don't know the competition or whether they like certain styles because though I sort of like the first and second prize ones,second one more, and can see there is a lot of work, they look more like traditional patterned pieces - almost logo like, whereas yours is much more engaging, narrative wise. So glad you got a sale offer - I think yours and your friend Marjolean's make more interesting works of art and very sellable (yeah I know prices will never be enough but the fact that it was wanted shows you create work that can be very popular with customers.)

    The whole things does look like a nightmare. They really treated you badly - glad you got it moved and relaballed but who knows if that was too late.

    i know what you mean - entering comptetions are exciting, gets you finish things and put in lots of work which really helps you develop, but the disappointment is hard, even though you think you tell yourself to expect it. The hardest thing is not to let it put you off - it does me. The thing to do, is keep entering them - i will, once i have done a few things i really like - you already have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear Kim
    You are so right to make a fuss. I never went to these shows, because I am always in the Netherlands at this time.his is clearly not a quilt show, but a vendors event.Well.. I wont enter next year.( Last year I was so sure i would win the 1st prize...which wasn't the case of course.) At least you will get your lovely quilts back.
    Marjolein (Another loser)

    ReplyDelete