Monday 25 March 2013

ACCIDENTAL LANDSCAPES - THE BEACH

Last weekend found me with my nose firmly in The Quilt Show's open access to all their shows (they were celebrating International Quilting Weekend).  One of the shows I watched and really enjoyed was Karen Eckmeier talking about her Accidental Landscapes.

Karen's easy technique inspired me to try it out, so I made this very small quilt (16.5"x14")

This was such an easy, fun quilt to make and a chance to just use your imagination, rather than duplicate a real landscape.  I wasn't able to make it all at one sitting, but once you have your fabrics and a free day, I think you could get most of it done.

The fabric is a mix of commercial, batik and that threatening sky is some more of that hand dyed fabric that I bought loads of in Japan.  
I thread painted one of the deck chairs and just painted the other one with Tsukineko inks. Though it doesn't really show in the photo, the lighter part of the sea is quilted with silver thread.

1 comment:

  1. A delightful scene a private little area, the beautifully done old empty chairs, great use of dyed fabric for the threatening sky, the rocks in the water. I just i imagine it is a spot a family return to regularly, but perhaps not for a while, why not? It evokes this kind of thinking.

    ReplyDelete