Saturday 20 April 2013

IKEA PRINTING TABLE

I think it fair to say that IKEA was not in my best books this week.  I bought this table because the trestle legs (purchased as a separate item) allow you to easily raise and lower the table and tilt it at an angle.  For some bizarre reason however, the trestles do not actually connect to any of the table tops they sell, as indicated in the instructions.  To cut a long moan short (yes I can if I want!), I searched the internet and managed to find someone who had had the same problem (and probably like me, didn't own a drill to make some holes in the table top).  Apparently in the UK, IKEA secures this top with velcro!  So armed with my staple gun and a load of velcro, I have done the same thing.  It remains to be seen whether I end up with broken toes, if when I tilt the table, the whole thing falls on my foot!

The table is to be used as a dedicated surface design table, where I can print with paints and dyes and generally make a mess, without worrying about clean up in quite the same way as I do when using my quilting tables.

First I covered the table with plastic, which I stuck temporarily into place with double sided tape.  I hope this will provide some measure of protection to the table top.  I'm not really worried too much about it, but why spoil it if your don't have to?

I tried to buy some compressed felt, as I read this was good for a printing table, but I could only find ironing board size.  I ended up buying some thick, felt like batting instead.  I covered the table with three layers of it, which I hope will provide a springy enough surface for screen printing.  I stapled this as tightly as I could.
The final layer was some pre-washed 100% cotton, which again I pulled really tight.  White cotton I hear you screech?! Eventually the cotton will get covered with dye, fabric paint etc, and then it can be removed and used as a piece of fabric in its own right.  That  may sound like a mess, but I have some wonderful bits of fabric that were clean up cloths after fabric painting.
I think Alan was very happy that I spent a couple of days working on this project, as after viewing the finished project, I head him laughing all the way back to his study.  I just love how supportive my husband is!

6 comments:

  1. Does this new contraption make it easier to sew cushion covers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it doesn't, but you can staple gun your friends to it spread eagled. You'd be surprised what I could do with a glue gun, a silk screen and a bottle of fabric paint.

    And go buy cushions like everyone else. Trying to half-inch them from hotel lobbies is just plain CHEAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the table and the work surface it provides you. Make sure you save me lots of dyed fabric from your
    effort. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I do enjoy reading this blog can I remark that the font Kim is using is most difficult to read. Might I suggest something more straightforward and less arty farty. I don't think one can go wrong with Times New Roman for example. The font is particularly difficult to read when in CAPs. This should certainly be revised. Also pink on green is quite difficult to read. Perhaps blue on White might be better from the readers' point of view. Finally, given that the last three posts have been about a table, a quilt and a mincing poof might the name It's All About Me be changed to something more accurate. Apart from this, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listen TOM, do you really want me to publish that holiday photo? I have played nice up until now, but remember, I HAVE THE POWER!!!! Also, your choice of Times New Roman is boring, the blue on white revealing of your political sensibilities, and you inability to read the blog your need for another pair of glasses. Incidentally, the colours on this blog are nothing compared to the colours of your clothes choices, Just what shirt were you wearing in that photo???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been painting brown top £25 charity shop table on wheels with top that turns up vertically. Have been painting many layers of emulsion white and topping of with PVA for protection. I didnt think it would take so much work either. Seeing this has made me go check the whole turning the top vertically thing which i thought was for storage but ... Just checked. After killing my hands trying to pull out 2 levers, it wont stay at angle, only flat or vertical. I would have to wedge something underneath and add lip to lower edge. I may do it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete