Sunday 29 June 2014

Thailand Great Quilt Festival - Quilt Preview

The quilts that had passed the first stage of judging were exhibited this week at the SAHA Group Fair.  Entrants were invited to join the photo line up that would kick start the show, which takes place next month.

Here is my quilting buddy Sue's quilt, which I think is called Exploding Pineapples, based around pineapples being her favourite fruit.  This was one of only two completely pieced quilts in the show.
This is Sue's second quilt, in the small category.  Called Dusk at the Wat, it is based on a photo that Sue took of a temple roofline at dusk.
If I had to guess, I would say this quilt will win the small quilt competition.  It had the subject matter and the shading (using one thread colour) is beautiful.  This exact motif (a well known one in Thailand), was on two quilts.
Of the larger quilts, this would be one of the quilts that I would guess would be a strong contender for first prize.  The boat in particular, with the occupants was really well executed.
The quilt I think will win though, is the one behind my head.  Yes I know you can't see it.  I thought I had taken a photo of this, but apparently not.  It is a beautiful quilt which is flat, well quilted and an interesting subject matter.  It had piecing and appliqué and was well finished. 
There wasn't a huge amount of space to display the quilts but there was plenty of foot traffic going through the stand.
The photo we had been invited to attend.  Now we await our interviews to present our quilts before finding out whether we have reached the next stage.  
Also on display were four quilts from quilt teachers.  This quilt came from Taiwan.  What you can't see is that it is covered with crystals and beads.  
This quilt had me going back again and again.  It is silk and simply glowed.  I have never sewn with silk but this quilt made me want to go out and buy some and get cracking.
 It has what looked to me like restrained free-form blocks and was hand quilted.
 The holes were lined with a different coloured bit piece of cloth from behind.  You had to get in close to see that element.  How interesting that she went to so much work for something that I suspect some people would simply not notice.  We got them to lift the quilt for us so that we could see how it was done from the back.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the small quilt with the KIng and the old woman. When I saw it on the Wien site it looked very good. I love the funky log cabin and holes quilt! Get more photos of that one if you can.

    ReplyDelete