Wednesday 20 November 2013

POLE DYEING & MANIPULATIONS - PART FOUR

Not everything I dyed this week has turned out as expected, and this piece ended up being very disappointing.  I wondered what would happen if I kept changing the orientation of the pole wrap and just kept on overdyeing.  The first wrap, using lemon yellow looked like this.  I turned the fabric orientation on the pole and over dyed with Turquoise.  I thought it would give me a lot of green, but in fact I ended up with turquoise and only very tiny dots of green.  I reasoned that I could carry on doing that to build up interesting layers of colour.
I turned the fabric again, and over dyed once more with yellow.  Because the other wrap had been so subtle, I thought I would get lines of green sitting over the turquoise and yellow.  In fact either I hadn't got the fabric secured tightly enough, or maybe I used a stronger mix of yellow, but it seemed to really travel through the fabric.  Of course nearly the whole thing turned green.  It also turned yucky.  It looks like a bilious zebra!  You can just make out that there are yellow lines in the background, but I think I really needed to add a third colour to make the effect more obvious.  Given that this fabric now has nowhere else to go except the ugly draw, I may try it again with a third colour.  Never say dye!!!

This piece is just super and I am really pleased with it.  I pole wrapped it first and painted it with Sky Blue.  On the second dye, I used lemon yellow and orange in random placements, leaving some areas untouched.  The colour isn't as intense as the photo, which is something I am struggling with at the moment.  I think I need to kick up the concentration of dye I use and hope it doesn't saturate the fabric too much.  I wish I had used a bigger piece of fabric.
The piece below started life as roughly pleated, tied randomly along its length and dyed with golden yellow.  Okay I admit it, it does sound like the words tie-dye could be uttered here!  I repeated the above, not taking any care where it was tied and over dyed the whole thing with boysenberry.  

I noticed once I had ironed the piece that I am still having trouble getting those red based colours to dissolve completely, so there is a bit of speckling on it.  The great thing about these three pieces, is that they all added to my knowledge skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment