Sunday 10 November 2013

POLE/TUBE DYEING PART TWO - WHAT IF?

I really loved the result of the tube dyeing in the last post, so I decided to try a couple of other ideas using the tube.  First I over dyed this piece of lemon yellow fabric, but instead of soaking it in dye, I painted the fabric with Boysenberry dye.
I placed a bit of scrap fabric in the bottom of the tray to catch the drips - no point in wasting it, is there? I turned the pole a few times, so that one side of the fabric didn't end up getting a lot more dye that the other.
The second what if: what if I I soaked one end of white fabric in the dye for longer than the other end?  I placed the tube in a container about 1/3 full of boysenberry dye, and sloshed it around a bit, so I didn't get too much of a straight line.  I left it about 15 minutes or so, then topped the container up with more soda ash.
This is the resulting fabric from that experiment.  Clearly the side to the right was the bit that was soaked for the longest and the lighter bottom half of the fabric, was nearest the tube and thus picked up less dye.  Whilst it isn't very elegant, it could be very useful when cut up (or the experiment done with a more graceful touch!).
The over dyed piece is just fabulous!  This piece used exactly the same dye as above, but the effects of over dyeing are clear to see.  Obviously you need to be careful what colour combinations are used but this is just such a dynamic piece of fabric now.
When you look at the fabric close up, you can even see patterns from the elastic bands, where they were twisted on the fabric. 

I also did the same experiment using the same yellow fabric, soaked in sky blue dye, which gave this lovely green.
I twisted two pieces of the yellow fabric into a rope as I had done in the previous post, again using a syringe and not soaking the fabric in the dye.
Finally, another rope twist, using very pale pink fabric and a syringe to apply turquoise, cobalt blue and Chinese red randomly to the fabric.

1 comment:

  1. Your over dyeing effects are amazing. Great colors and I can see them already as background for some pieces you plan on doing.
    I'm going to use you as a tutorial, so be ready for an onslaught of questions. jt

    ReplyDelete