Saturday 31 December 2011

First Layer In And Working On The Second.

PART II
After lunch I hurried Alan home to get a bit of work done on the quilt. It was quite productive.
 The first layer of the quilt has been stippled into place, using smoke coloured 'invisible' thread.  On this sort of background and using smoke which doesn't catch the light as much as the clear thread, I agree with  Noriko Endo, you have to use touch to tell where you have quilted.

I cut off the excess netting that I didn't quilt.  This means that the background layer becomes more obscured as it will be covered with two layers of netting, and the foreground, just the one.  I did have a few qualms at this stage as it looks as though the background is too far back, and the foreground Looks way too white.
I have made three of the trees at this point and worked out the final position for the large rocks.  In the next few pictures, watch the position of the large naked tree trunk to the right of the rock.
With quite a few more trees and some grass in, I decided the large tree should cover the rock on the left side.
Or maybe it will look better to the right.
Finally it ends up on the other side of the path!  Now that the far grass is in, the sense of perspective is beginning to develop.  I'm still hoping the gravel bed will look better.  I haven't quite finished with that side, but I think I need to put some of the near foreground in, before deciding the final layout.

Well that's it for today.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

  1. its amazing to see the perspective develop even more. the beautiful bright colours of the tree leaves and grass really make a difference. it's really a lot harder than dabbing on paint though. i wonder if this helps - being a lot slower/more work to add colour - that makes you stop and really think about perspective.

    ReplyDelete