Friday 30 December 2011

Flora & Fauna Quilt Exhibition, Singapore

Once again I was lucky enough to be able to showcase two of my quilts in the Flora & Fauna quilt exhibition, that took place in the Singapore Botanical Gardens.
With Hannah, posing in front of Langtry.  I had to ask permission to take a photo in front of my own quilt, which was funny!
The cover of the exhibition catalogue, which was also the advertising poster.


I'm not sure I like looking like a forceps baby in the catalogue photo!

The Chalmers children (with whom we were staying over Christmas) were quite inspired by the exhibition, and decided that they wanted to have a go themselves, and work on a project that could possibly be entered into next year's show.

The only one of them who has sewn before with me is Sam, and that was on the sewing machine.  This time I had to get three children to agree on a project and work as a team with only four or five pieces of fabric and their mother's lamentable sewing kit.  Don't get me started on the blunt scissors, you can tell Sair doesn't quilt!

They each decided to do a flower, which they first had to draw, and then cut from fabric using as I said, very blunt scissors.  These were placed on a piece of Batik, using raw edge applique.
Here is 11 year old Ben working on his tulip, which is made from some scraps of felt.  12 year old Sam made weeds, you can see his red and yellow weed in the corner of the fabric.  He has three to do.
13 year old Hannah was making a lupin.  Unfortunately, the blunt scissors (get them sharpened Chalmers!), made it very difficult to cut the fabric into little ovals, but Hannah managed as best she could.
Given that he had been there/done that before, Sam's approach to sewing was far more relaxed!

Given that we were distracted by Christmas, not a lot got done on the quilt.  I left each of them with instructions on how to sew and decorate their flower.  Sarah, who had laughed at me over taking the project on, started cursing me when she realised that SHE was going to have to finish the project with the kids!  Ha ha ha!  Sarah still has what appear to be the original needles (looking somewhat rusted) in the needle case she made at school (how many years ago Sair?!), so you can tell that sewing is not her forte.  This may well end up being a lot of Skype chats!

1 comment:

  1. loving the flower quilts. and now you're a squashed poster girl. also love the sofa and the cabinet in the background. place looks so huge and light - is that the new place?

    ReplyDelete