Monday 27 August 2012

I KNOW IT'S SHAMEFUL, BUT I ADMIT IT, I'VE QUILTED AN IPAD COVER!

Now we all know (or you should know) that I am a vehement hater of quilted objects, and definitely see them as the shameful face of quilting.  Lets face it, who needs a handmade pot holder or my personal favourite, a quilted cover for the car seat belt - I kid you not!  I mean who in their right mind has a quilted seat belt cover?  So I know there are going to be quite a few raised eyebrows and knowing smirks when you see what I have just made - a quilted cover for my iPad!

Yeah yeah, keep them guffaws coming, I KNOW I deserve them.

Why did I do it?

My problem was that I hadn't got anything to protect my iPad when I travelled or had to carry it in a large over-stuffed bag.  Yes I have a smart cover, but I don't want the rest of my ipad covered in scratches, and to be honest, the smart cover was a bad colour choice of light grey, so you can bet that baby is looking somewhat grungy by now.

As I am intending to carry my iPad with me on holiday next week (what am I saying, it's THIS WEEK, YIKES!), I did not want to whip out at airport security, in front of all the hip and happening folk (ie read people other than me), my bubble wrapped iPad.  I mean, how uncool is that?

Okay I hear you all laughing and saying, "well Kim, do you think a quilted cover is any cooler?".  Okay, no it isn't, but I am hoping that if I don't use fabric with cats and dogs on it, or make one from some ghastly left over quilt blocks, that it might just fly under the radar as, well, unnoticeable.

Oh stop laughing.  I'm only human (well, once in a long while).

I found a link to Shabby Chic and used the tutorial there as the basis for making my cover.  I changed one or two things, but otherwise pretty much stuck to her tutorial.  Actually, when I say I changed some things, one was that I accidentally cut one side too short!  Luckily I was able to compensate with seam allowances etc.  I also enlarged and tapered the closing flap.

I made mine using a great bit of batik fabric, which I was at first loathe to use as I loved just looking at it.  Then I reasoned that I'd look at it far more as a cover for my iPad.  Apparently there is a bit of thinking that goes into these quilted projects, and that really surprised me!

Oh yes, I lined it with a lovely bright yellow batik.  I started out with the intention of using red, but felt this colour way was much jollier.
Okay, so in the pictures it doesn't exactly look as subtle as I had initially planned, but I can assure you, I will obtain many an envious glance as I queue at airport security with my shoes in one hand and my snazzy iPad case in the other.  Stylish huh?

I just know with this under my arm, I'll make friends and most assuredly be able to influence people.



6 comments:

  1. I love it. It goes really well with the white ipad - seeing yours just confirms that i will def go with white. I absolutely love the concept of simplicity of white ipad covered in handmade personalised covers. Maybe I will make a magnetised fabric book style cover instead of the knitted one.

    Also re seat belt covers - i have just been thinking of covering my old black velvety ones in some fresh fabric - lighter colour for new lighter car. These covers stop belt cutting into my neck so stop the mocking at once - we short people can never get belt low enough (it's taken me 3 years years to realise i can even lower them but still not low enough). I think i will make matching seat covers - in old shirts?

    Thanks for another inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, NOOOOOO! NOT THE SEAT BELT COVERS!!! Ha ha - I did say who in their right mind, so I rest my case!

    Actually my iPad is the black one, it is just the cover that is the light grey. Personally, I think the white is too distracting on an iPad, as it sets a hard edge around what you are looking at. Having said that though, my iPhone is white, but then the colour just helps me find the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I am setting myself up to be part of this conversation. Shirley, go with the knitted version and please post a photo. Kim, I do love your bag, practical and good looking, but I fear you have definitely gone over the edge. By the way, we have three cars, all with seat belts, so come ready to work. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, not another one! Am I the only person who would rather walk than use a car with quilted OR KNITTED seat belt cover? Janice shame on you for both encouraging Shirl and for secretly (or not so secretly as you have written it on an international blog with a readership in the millions) desiring a set, no sorry three sets for your cars. Right, I have a few days before leaving, and a few scraps of fabric so....

    Well thank goodness the Devine Ms Chrissy B is on low profile at the moment or she too would be knitting up a set.

    Now I'm off to buy a Sunbonnet Sue quilting pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you please quilt Baz a crotch-warmer as the cold nights are setting in here in Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete