Tuesday 17 July 2012

CHRISSY BRININSTOOL AND HER SEWING MACHINE

The Divine Ms B, otherwise known as Chrissy Brininstool, has sent her review.  I suspect this may be the oldest machine in this series.


Incidentally, I always wondered why we never saw Bill and now we know.  Poor Bill is kept in a sweatshop, beavering away and ruining his eyes.  Or maybe, given what she has created and made him wear in the past (see below), he just prefers to keep her off the sewing machine!

Here is a picture of my sewing machine and my pathetic sewing corner where I've produced many a HUGE quilt. And you thought I was a whiner! Anyone who does not whine about this little sewing space is a SAINT!!! So if you ever come to stay with me and I get the urge to sew in the middle of the night, you will be right behind me!!!!!
(Oh no, she sleeps naked and I bet she hasn't waxed her back recently, ugh!).
My machine was purchased in 1966, a brand new Singer, and is not plastic. It has never been out of my sight or hands. Yes, that is right, it has never been serviced or used by anyone else.

It is a basic forward and backward with cams to zig zag and makes wicked button holes. I know because at one time, I made Bill some raging dark green polyester bell bottoms!!!!! Zipper and all. Drats, wish I had a picture of them!!!! But more fun at this time to use our imagination!!!!!!!  I think the machine cost $200.

We couldn't find the photo of Bill in his green bell bottoms, but here he is in one of the other outfits Chrissy made for him.  Look below for more of Chrissy's creations.


I think the only thing I am wanting right this minute is a machine that has a long arm to fit a HUGE quilt under. I don't want anything fancy as I'd never use the features.
I love it (even tho it sounds like a lawnmower. Bill told me that.) and would buy it all over again. 


Since I am NOT a spender of $, the only reason to buy a new one is for the long arm. 


AND since I sewed my sister's finger under the needle, it has many good memories!!!!!  "Drats!", I said, as I pulled the needle out of her nail, "I've lost another needle"!!!!!!  True story.  


Here is Bill modelling some of the other outfits Chrissy made on her 1966 Singer (and made him wear).  Bill told me the underwear was a big much when he went to the gym, especially as they were made from real giraffe skin.  I think he mentioned chaffing!

Bill also said that Chrissy couldn't master sewing sleeves on his suit jackets, so this was his office wear.  Nice!



2 comments: