Sunday 15 July 2012

JANICE TEA AND HER SEWING MACHINES

A review of three sewing machines by Janice Tea.  I'm afraid to say anything rude about her, as she may make me sleep out in the woods, when I visit her in Utah - as in CAMP!

PFAFF CREATIVE 1467

Janice and her kids
I purchased this after graduate school, around 1989.  I originally had a Singer, very basic, but I sewed mine and the kids clothes on it.
How VERY Sound of Music of you Janice!  

I love this machine!  It is definitely an improved basic machine.  Computerized with over 50 decorative stitches, 1 alphabet and numbers.  It does all the basic normal stuff, zippers, stay stitch, button holes, plus. 

The reason I first looked at it and bought it was for the walking foot which works like a dream, keeping the two layers of fabric even.  I've never had to worry about adjusting the tension, etc. etc. just an all round good machine.

When I bought my new machines (yes, machines) I told my daughter she could have it, but it has never left my quilt room as it is my go to machine for piecing and that's all I do with it.  


The throat plate does not have a good 1/4 inch measurement so I had resorted to built up masking tape, though I have just bought a 1/4 inch foot.  There is a wide range of feet and attachments you can still purchase for this machine online.  The feed dog plate lowers, so maybe it would work with quilting.  Have to admit I have never tried it.

I asked Janice more about the tape on the throat plate:
Yes, that 1/4 tape marks my 1/4 inch seam allowance.  It has worked pretty good for years.  I used a clear ruler to get the line straight and accurate, testing it out with a doubled piece of cloth first and then just built it up layer by layer.  It gives a great guide for about 4-5 inches before it hits the needle.  Even though I have a 1/4 inch sewing foot now, I haven't taken it off. 

The next machine I bought was the PFAFF QUILT EXPRESSION 4.0 - Big mistake!
Though embarrassed for buying this one without a lot of background info, I'm throwing this one in just as a warning.  


There are a lot of problems: tension, balance, even threading the dang thing can be a hassle.  I bought it because of my experience with my first Pfaff and knew they had a good reputation all the way around.  A friend who bought one as well (not together) hates hers as well.  She bought a long arm and is enjoying that.  


I'm thinking of selling my Pfaff, but not really sure I want to load it off on to some unsuspecting lady.  Anyway, I'll probably take it up to the cabin as my machine there and play around with it.  I mean, it can't be all bad????

BERNINA AURORA 440
It's been around for awhile and in fact, they just put out a new upgraded model.  


I bought this one to machine quilt and I am having fun working on my machine quilting skills.  This will probably be my last machine and I am quite happy with it.  I haven't played with it enough to tell you all the ins and outs, sorry, but it has a wide range of decorative stitches, alphabets and numbers.  You can't hook it up to the computer, but I am pretty much a basic kind of sewer and quilter.   


I've been told that you need to adjust the tension more often, but so far that hasn't been a problem at all.  The quilting attachment is known for it's stitch regulator and generally this works well.  I think one needs to practice and fine tune their skills to make any machine work well. 


By the way, is there anyone else out there saying, she bought machines, as in two!  Just how many extra years did poor Roger have to toil away at the coal face to pay for those?!  
Roger still at work!
Oh dear, I sense the camping equipment coming out!









3 comments: