Thursday 13 October 2011

Birthday indulgence

Yesterday was my birthday, something that I am beginning to dread as they come with ever greater alacrity.  What happened to the days when I was so excited that it was my birthday?
I guess I was 4!
One of my favourite places to go was a place called Tuxedo Junction.  I can't count how many of my birthdays I spent there.  Oh boy Lou, how many birthdays did we spend shrieking our heads off in there?    I'm trying to remember that last time I felt truly excited that it was my birthday, I think it was my 30th!  Wow, such a long time ago.  After that the excitement was always tinged with the old tick tock of time passing.  This year I am not even going to do the traditional buffet, that has been out standard treat since we lived in Japan.  Now wouldn't it be funny if it gets to Sunday and I change my mind?

Anyway, I got up early today (don't you just hate those night sweats?), and started wondering about things that had happened on my birthday.  It appears to have been a bit of a doom and gloom day.  In 1492 Columbus thought he'd discovered India, but instead landed in the Caribbean.  I bet that was a shocker after travelling all that way.  Now, had I been around in 1582, I'd have missed out on my birthday, as due to implementation of the Gregorian Calendar, there wasn't a 12th October in Italy, Poland, Portugal or Spain.  1773 saw the first insane asylum opened in America (Virginia to be precise) and yes, I can hear your remarks from here you know!  The event I WAS around for was in 1984, when the IRA attempted to assassinate Margaret Thatcher by blowing up her hotel in Brighton.  Oh yes, and in 1999, the world celebrated the arrival of The Day of 6 Billion, when the 6 billionth living person entered the world.  Well, that lot did little to cheer the spirits!

So I indulged myself with looking through some old photos.  Just indulge me on this, it is a bit stream of consciousness I know.
Gina, mum and me looking bemused!
I can't believe what great looking eyebrows Gina had as a child.  They look penciled in!
Susan is my twin, we share the same birthday.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUSAN!  Part of my 50th birthday celebrations in the US.
Lou has always called me 'Princess Kim on my birthday, so it is only fitting that I wore a crown on my 50th.  This year we had an email exchange and thought that I was getting a tad too old for princess, so she was thinking of calling me Queen Kim, before smoothly lapsing into Dowager Kim.  Yikes!  See, this is the thing about nicknames that are birthday related.  At some point you have to face the hard truth.  YOU'RE GETTING OLD!
This has nothing to do with birthday's, but just look at my hairdo, it's bigger than I am!  I think I was an aspiring county & western singer.
Here I am at my small cousin's birthday party.  Just look at the outfit.  I have always loved suits, and this version I remember well.  Maxi skirt (hey they were the fashion then!), with the matching little jacket, over a shirt that had those great big sleeves and long collar.  Also, though you can't quite see it, my hair is in bunches at either side of my head.
Okay, here I am in my first suit.  I'm the one next to the woman (my aunt June) in the check coat.  On the other side of me is Norma and Roy is behind June!  The woman getting married is my aunt Sheila, whom I'm told I resemble.
Here at the same wedding with Gina and my parents.  I remember the excitement of that first suit, it was green.  It was hanging for a few days on the outside of the wardrobe, and I remember just looking at it and being very excited to wear it.
Finally, my mum Kathleen.  Most of my life has been spent without her, but I still miss her.  My birthday is a day to remember her too.  Miss you mum.

4 comments:

  1. A very big happy birthday. Next time you are in London, the four of us have to go celebrate it. The pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Kim. What darling, darling pictures. You look the same!!!Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny isn't it? When you only know someone as an adult, it's hard to picture them as a little girl. What an absolute sweetheart you look! Sair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the pics! You were a stylin' little girl.

    ReplyDelete