Thursday 16 February 2012

A WALK IN THE SUN

So, did you guess the quilt?  Valiant guesswork Shirl.  Maybe I should send you some of this fabric to see if you can make one yourself!  As I said, the clue was in my trip to Chiang Mai, which is famous for all its temples.

So...
Take one head, and some dodgy looking legs.


Add the neck and shoulders and ignore husband's comments about the ears.
Don't forget the highlights as you add the body.
Add a bit of movement to the robes.
Stand back to check the colours and rethink the legs.
Look closely for rogue confetti bits.
Change the legs!
Add an umbrella. 
Don't forget to highlight the umbrella.  Then hope nobody opens the window before you can get it covered.
Cover with black netting and pin into place.  Then quickly sew the confetti bit into place at gone 7pm, hoping that you do not disturb the neighbours underneath you!
Stand back and look at your quilt room, then ask yourself why you chose to do a jigsaw puzzle on one of your work tables instead of the coffee table.
Finally, after Alan's mishap and our holiday, the quilt is now finished and is called, A Walk In The Sun. I really like the background, to this quilt.  Every time I look at the fabric, it makes me see the picture in a different way.
Close up you can see that I have (as usual!) densely quilted everything, in fact, so much so that it has rather masked the effect of the confetti.  I just decided that I didn't really like the effect so much on this quilt, mainly because the colour became so muted.
The figure is mostly quilted using a free motion zigzag stitch on a small setting.  Around the figure, I just doodled with a straight stitch, changing the colour of the thread to match the background shades.

I like the process of making these quilts, but I am not sure I like just how much the picture becomes muted unless you use very bright fabric. I think this technique lends itself really well to an autumn landscape.  It also makes forming a picture a lot easier that using larger pieces of fabric, as you can just move the bits around as you please.

I think I probably have one more confetti quilt left to do, I have to do something to use up all these little bits, sitting in dishes on the floor!!!

Okay, I have two UFOs sitting in a drawer that I really have to finish.  I really should get those done before starting something else, but..!



3 comments:

  1. Kim, I absolutely love this quilt! What a wonderful way to use this technique. I spent an
    evening cutting my tiny pieces and I have a photo to follow of sorts, so now just courage to get started. Your're right about the darkness the netting creates. Your colors have to be very bright to see through. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply stunning! S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, Have you ever thought of exhibiting your quilts in a museum? I have an ex-mother-in-law (now deceased) who had quilts in a museum and they weren't nearly as nice as yours. Susan (from TX)

    ReplyDelete