Monday 27 February 2012

The Seated Buddha

I was invited by a friend to contribute a small quilt to Art Quilt Elements 2012, which is now in its 10th year.   Quilters were asked to contribute a postcard sized quilt for sale which will be sold for $50.  The funds raised go towards the costs of the catalogue of the main exhibit.

This is the smallest quilt I have ever made, 4"x 6".  I only had a few days to come up with an idea and produce the quilt, as it will be hand carried this week to the US.

By the way, this isn't just any seated Buddha.  When I holidayed with my friends in Chiang Rai a year ago, we saw this Buddha up at the Golden Triangle, opposite Laos!  I had a photography of the Buddha so I made an outline drawing of it, which I then sewed through.  I'm still picking the little bits of paper out of the quilt!!!
This is the back of the quilt.  The labels are bits of ribbon that hang loose, rather like Buddhist prayer flags.

In the interests of speed, I didn't bind the quilt, but sewed along the edges with a double stitch, and then cut around it, giving it a slightly textured look.  I then sewed a few beads around the top.

I know one thing, this is never going to be a size format that works for me.  I really found it hard working in such a small size.  

And if any of you think that you are getting quilted Christmas Cards this year, forget it!!!

3 comments:

  1. its amazing how Buddha figures always looks beautiful and so calm. the simplicity of the stitching is very fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this stricture about size mean that you will not quilt Jerry a thong on his birthday? If you do, however, can it also have beads along the hemline. Thanks, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I love it. You really do amazing work. Let us know how the show goes.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete