Tuesday 3 January 2012

The Confetti Goes On, Comes Off And Goes On Again!

PART IV

Thanks Shirley for your helpful suggestions in the last post's comments section.  One of the big differences between quilting and painting is that painters, with their ability to mix paint, have an endless palette at their disposal.  With quilting, unless you are lucky enough to live near a great quilting shop that carries a good stock, you quilt with what you can get your hands on, or what you can dye, paint or disperse yourself.  When you mix that with my hope that once on the quilt, the colour will look better, you end up with that horrid green I used previously!
Anyway, I didn't do any work on the quilt yesterday, so this afternoon I was determined to at least get as far as putting the netting on.

I chopped up the same green as at the back, having no other green fabric I could use (see comments above).  I had just got them it onto the background fabric, when I remembered that I had decided to cut down the gravel fabric!
Once again, off came the confetti, and I chopped off the lower edge of the gravel fabric.
The grass is now in place.  You can see I have used the larger pieces as you suggested Shirley, and leaving small gaps for the black background to show through to show distance.
I threw in another rock because I found one on the floor!
I added some yellow and red confetti flowers to the foreground and a few fallen leaves opposite.
I had a lot of the yellow confetti, so I added a yellow sapling.  I admit the reason for putting something on the quilt shouldn't be because it is going spare, but this is a bit of fun, and as you can tell by now, if I really hate something, I just take it off.
At last the netting is on and everything held in place.  By the time I got to this stage, I wondered whether all the stuff I put on the first layer was really needed, but when you look at it close up, which is difficult here, you do get the illusion of depth.

So that's me done.  Time for a rest.  Besides, Alan has just come in and is offering up drinks!

1 comment: