Thursday 31 July 2014

Thailand Great Quilt Festival 2014: Soul Siam Quilts

I was so happy to find that my quilt Heavenly Rice, won an honorary mention award for best creativity!!!  I have never won anything for quilting before, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to hear this news AND to also be interviewed by Thai PBS television yesterday.
And yes that is Chrissy and Margie being posed as admirers!
I was amazed at just how large the show is.  I had expected it to just be a few quilts, but the Soul Siam competition was just a small part of the show.  

When I saw the exhibit yesterday they must have still be setting it up, as today, the lighting on the competition quilts is a lot better.
This is the winning quilt.  The quilter used a confetti technique for the sky area and the whole quilt is covered in black netting.  The photo makes the quilt look a lot lighter than it was, as in fact it looked black and dull in the way confetti quilts tend to be.
This was the quilt that I really liked.  It was beautifully made.  I think it may have lost points as it was not the competition size.  Sorry about my shadow on the quilts but the lighting put shadows everywhere.  This and the quilt below it were the other major winners.  I can't remember which won  second and which third prize.
 These two quilts were the runners up with mine from what I can make out.  

The winner of the small quilts.
Congratulations to Sue who was also awarded an honorary mention for her small quilt
An interesting quilt.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, The quilt show was much bigger than when we went a few years back. Overall I liked the quilts shown, but I was surprised by the over all winner. Not quit sure what it was representing, but interesting never the less. Yours was great! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim I just love it! Well done! I can't wait to see it for real.x

    ReplyDelete